Matches 1,101 to 1,139 of 1,139
|| Linked to
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F284
||Texas Marriage Index:|
Name: Mary Lanham
Marriage Date: 11 Jan 1890
Spouse: J. T. Staats
Marriage city: Denton
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F274
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F295
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F315
||Texas Marriage Index:|
Name: Taylor Lanham
Marriage Date: 21 Oct 1895
Spouse: Timie Foster
Marriage city: Denton
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F313
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F283
||The American Whig and Knoxville Enquirer, Wednesday, 29 Apr 1829, Vol II, No. 64|
Married--On Tuesday the 14th inst., by Rev. John S. Henley, Mr. John Suddeth to Miss Eveline Center, daughter of Milton Center, all of Roane County.
||The English origins of Mrs. Mary Brewster are not known. A number of theories have been proposed over the years, including maiden names such as Wentworth, Love, Wyrall, and others. However, no proof to support any of these theories has been found.|
We know that Mary was born about 1569, because she stated she was 40 years old in an affidavit filed in Leiden, Holland on 25 June 1609. She was presumably from the vicinity of Doncaster, Yorkshire or Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, as she married William Brewster there about 1592 and had their first son Jonathan born there a year later. She next had a daughter Patience, born about 1600 or somewhat earlier. About 1606, the church congregation began more formally meeting at the Scrooby manor, where she and husband William resided. About this time, pressure from the English authorities was mounting, and the meetings became more and more secretive. She gave birth to another daughter at this time, which they named Fear. The couple fled just over a year later for Holland with the other members of the congregation, and in Leiden they buried an unnamed child: presumably one that had died in infancy. In 1611, she gave birth to a son they named Love, and two or three years later gave birth to their last son, which they named Wrestling.
Mary came to Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620 with husband William, and her two youngest children Love and Wrestling. Mary was one of only five adult women to survive the first winter, and one of only four women to survive to the so-called "first" Thanksgiving in 1621. Son Jonathan Brewster joined the family in November 1621, arriving at Plymouth on the ship Fortune. Daughters Patience and Fear came on the ship Anne in 1623. Mary died in 1627 at Plymouth, having reached about the age of 60. Husband William survived her, and would live another 17 years before he died.
||The Knoxville Enquirer|
Married on Sunday evening the 26th ult by the Rev Geo Atkins, Capt Thos J Grills to Miss Harriet W Smith of McMinn county.
||The Knoxville Enquirer|
Married on the 8th instant at Oarsville, by the Rev Charles McAnally, Capt Samuel B Tate to Miss Caroline Center, daughter of Capt Stephen W Center, all of Grainger County.
||The Knoxville Enquirer|
Married on Tuesday evening, the 14th March, by the Rev James Y Crawford, Mr Isham P Alley to Miss Mary C Grills, Daughter of Mr Elliot Grills, all of Knox County.
||The land on which Como now stands was purchased from local Indians around 1825 for fifty cents an acre. In 1832, Dr. George Tait arrived from Georgia with his bride, Mildred Ann McGehee. The Mississippi-Tennessee railroad, the lifeblood of Como, was completed in 1856, connecting the town with Memphis to the north and Sardis to the south. About that same time, the old post office, which used to be located at the Tate County line stagecoach stop (now Abe's Chapel), was moved to its current location. The depot and Dr. Tait's home were the only buildings in the area until his death in 1865 at which time his daughter, Sallie, and her husband, Colonel Monroe Pointer, began selling lots for businesses and homes. With the railroad in place to transport crops and passengers, the town began to thrive. Unlike many communities that are centered around a courthouse, Como's commerce developed facing the railroad tracks.|
There are two versions of how Como received its name. One comes from the Indians who named the area Como, meaning "tops of trees," for that was all that could be seen when looking out over the land. The other story is that Dr. Tait refused to call the town "Taitville," preferring to name it for Lake Como, Italy.
Around the turn of the 20th century when "Cotton was King," Como was known for having more millionaires per capita than almost anywhere else in the U.S. Be this fact or fiction, there were undoubtedly many wealthy and worldly residents in the area. Some of their homes still stand as a testament to their success - and to a lifestyle that has faded into folklore.
|Tait, Sarah (I2136)
||The only record we have found after the 1860 census is this marriage to Antony Zeigler. It is not certain that our Elizabeth A Zeigler married him. ||Zeigler, Elizabeth A (I1852)
||Thomas Lygon (also known as Ligon) was baptized on 11 Jan 1623/4, Walsgrave-on-Sowe, Warwickshire, England. The Lygon family is a very ancient and prestigious family in England. Thomas came to Virginia in the 1640s and married by 1649, Mary Harris, daughter of Thomas Harris and Adria Gurganey. He was a member of the House of Burgesses for Henrico County, Virginia, in 1656. Thomas acquired large tracts of land. In 1657 he bought a tract of 800 acres from Colonel William Byrd. On 5 Apr 1664 he was granted 800 acres at Powell's Creek next to that of Thomas Jones due him for transporting 16 persons from England. This was followed by 6 other patents, the last in the year 1672, just 3 years before his death. On 3 Oct 1664, Thomas Ligon and Captain William Farrar patented 375 acres in Henrico County on the north side of the James River for transporting 8 persons. On the same date 335 acres in Henrico County on the south side of the James River in 'Mount My Lady' field was assigned to Captain William Farrar and Thomas Ligon. Altogether, his patents totaled about 4,005 acres. He was a Justice of the Peace for Charles City County, Virginia, in 1657. Thomas was appointed Official Surveyor of Henrico County, Virginia, through his connection with his kinsman (2nd cousin) Sir William Berkeley the Royal Governor of Virginia. In 1667 he surveyed and named an area "Mawburne" or Malvern Hills, in Henrico County. In England, Malvern Hills is located very near Madresfield Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madresfield_Court) , the Lygon family ancestral home. Thomas remained surveyor of Henrico County for many years, up until the time of his death. On 18 Apr 1644, when he was a Lt. Colonel of the county, the Indians made a sudden attack upon the Virginia settlements, and massacred about 300 of the colonists before they were repulsed. While this furious attack was in progress, Lt. Col. Thomas Ligon, called 'Colonel' Ligon, who happened to be passing at the moment the residence of Dr. John Woodson, helped Sarah Woodson defend her home against the Indians. According to tradition their only weapon was an old gun which Colonel Ligon handled with deadly effect. At the first fire he killed 3 Indians, and 2 at the second shot. The howling mob on the outside took fright and fled, but Ligon fired the third time and killed 2 more, making seven in all. The old gun, which rendered such valuable service on that dreadful day, was made in England, and was later placed in the possession of the Virginia Historical Society. The name of Ligon was carved upon the stock. Colonel Ligon was also later among the men involved in a battle with the Indians near Richmond in 1656. The Indians won the battle, but apparently returned to the Blue Ridge where they had been living and did not make any further attacks. He made his will 10 Jan 1675, and administration of his estate was granted to his widow and executrix, Mary (Harris) Ligon on 16 Mar 1675/6.|
|Ligon, Colonel Thomas III (I5743)
||THOMAS RICHARDSON, one of the prominent citizens of Stanislaus county, and an old-time resident as well, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, his parents being Robert and Catherine (Bullen) Richardson. The mother was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, and there the father, a native of Virginia, went when a young man, and he was married there. He was a soldier of the War of 1812, being in Matson's command, Harrison' s army, and spiked some of the British guns at the battle of the Thames. When our subject, Thomas Richardson, was but three months old the family removed to Pike County, Missouri, and eight years later to Pike County, Illinois, locating at Martinsburg about six miles from Pittsfield, where he grew to young manhood. He next went to Iowa, and was engaged for four years at the Government farm on the Des Moines river, where the Black Hawk Indian agency was. Including himself there were only three or four white people there, and all the rest were the savage Black Hawk Indians. He became well acquainted with the chiefs of that tribe, including the sons of the noted leader Black Hawk, one of the most celebrated of savage chieftains. From there he returned to Pike county, Illinois, and was married in 1845. In 1850 he he crossed the plains to California with an ox-team. Proceeding to the gold-diggings on the American River, he mined there about two weeks. In December, 1851, he went back East by water, returning to California in 1852, coming across the plains and being accompanied by his family. He was captain of the company both times. He located on the Stanislaus River, where he now lives, and where he has 700 acres of land, secured partly by the preemption and the homestead rights and partly by purchase. Here he has done much in the way of improvement, the buildings being very creditable, among them being a handsome and commodious residence erected in 1867. His land is of the best in California, and is devoted principally to farming, except about eighty acres which he leases to a man who is improving it with orchard trees, vines, etc. The whole place presents a handsome appearance to the eye of one accustomed to the blending of the beautiful and useful in nature. Besides his home ranch he has another ranch of 96 acres, a mile and one-half southeast of Oakdale, which he himself farms.|
Mr. Richardson was married in Illinois, January 9, 1845, to Miss Lucinda Waggoner, a native of Tennessee. They have two children, viz: John J., a namesake of General Hardin; and Ephriam. Mr. Richardson is a member of the Oakdale Lodge, #275, F. & A.M., of which he is a Steward, and also of the Modesto Chapter, #49, R.A.M. Politically, he is a Democrat, taking an active interest as a citizen in political and public affairs, and has attended the party conventions as a delegate. He served one term as Justice of the Peace of Oakdale. Mr. Richardson is a man of highest integrity, and enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him. [Memorial and Biographical History of Merced, Stanislaus, Calaveras, Tuolumne, Mariposa Counties, (California) The Lewis Publishing Co. Chicago, Ill. 1892, page 226.]
THOMAS RICHARDSON Each community is judged by the character of its representative citizens, and its social, intellectual, and business standing is determined thereby. The sterling worth, commercial ability and enterprise of the leading men are mirrored forth in the public life of the town, and therefore the history of the people of prominence is the history of the community. No account of Oakdale would be complete without the life record of Thomas Richardson, a man whose public spirit is manifested in his many efforts to improve the conditions and promote the upbuilding of the town. He came to the state in 1850 and now resides on a large farm in Stanislaus county, three miles west of Oakdale.
Mr. Richardson was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, on the 28th of September, 1818, and is of English, Scotch, and Irish descent, his ancestors being among the early settlers of Virginia and participating in the events which find mention in the annals of the Old Dominion. One of the representatives of the name also served in the war of the Revolution. Robert Richardson, the father of our subject, was born in Virginia, removed to Kentucky and at the time of the war of 1812 entered his country's service under command of General William H. Harrison. He married Miss Catherine Bullen, who was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, a daughter of John Bullen, one of the heroes of the war for independence. They removed to Pike County, Missouri, and a number of their children were born there. In 1827 they took up their abode in Pike county, Illinois, becoming pioneer settlers of that locality, where they secured government land, the father developing thereon a good farm upon which he made his home until the time of his death in 1845. While in Missouri he held the office of tax collector. Both he and his wife were Baptists in religious faith and were upright, reliable and respected farming people. Mrs. Richardson passed away in the fifty-sixth year of her age. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom all reached mature years, but only two of the number are now living, the sister of our subject being Fammey, the wife of William Waggoner, a resident of Pike county, Illinois,
Thomas Richardson, of this review, was eight years of age when with his parents he went to the Prairie State, and in the primitive log school-house of the neighborhood he pursued his studies through a short period each winter. At the time of early spring planting he took his place in the fields to assist in the cultivation of the farm and was employed with plowing, cultivating, and harvesting until after the crops were garnered in the autumn. His life was passed in the quiet routine of the farm until 1850, when the country became stirred by news of the gold discovery in California and he determined to make his way to the Eldorado of the West. Accordingly, he joined a company of ninety men that secured an outfit in Pike County and started in a train of twenty-nine wagons on the long and arduous journey across the plains. They were well supplied with provisions, and, as two physicians were of the party, were protected against prolonged illness. The journey was made by way of South Bear River, Green River, and Humboldt, and they were on the journey about six months, at the end of which period they arrived in Hangtown, now Placerville, September 18, 1850. Although many emigrant trains suffered greatly from cholera, only three of their party had died of this disease.
Mr. Richardson began his career as a placer miner with pan and rocker on the American River below Coloma. He met with a fair measure of success, taking out considerable gold, and followed mining until 1851, when he returned to his home by the water route in order to bring his family to California, and with them he journeyed across the plains, in 1852.
On the 9th of January, 1845, he married Miss Lucinda Jane Waggoner, a native of Tennessee, and they had two children John and Mary Jane before their removal to the Pacific Coast. Their daughter has since departed this life. The son is still living and cultivates a farm near his father. The year 1852 proved a very disastrous one to many emigrants, the cholera being very prevalent among those who journeyed across the plains, but the train with which the Richardsons traveled lost only one of their party, a woman. However, they saw many newly made graves along the route. Mr. Richardson had the honor of being the commander of the companies with which he traveled on both of these journeys across the plains.
When with his wife and little family, our subject arrived in California, he settled on one hundred and sixty acres of government land that are included within the boundaries of his present ranch. This region was then an unsettled country and there were many Indians in the locality, but he never had any trouble with them. He had brought with him from Illinois forty head of cattle and horses and here he engaged in stock-raising. Notwithstanding that he met with many reverses in business, he diligently prosecuted his labors until he became the owner of nine thousand acres of land and was numbered among the wealthiest men of Stanislaus County. This grand old pioneer is now living retired from active business in a large and commodious frame residence that stands on the extensive ranch which his enterprise and industry have secured to him. He leases his land and the rental therefrom supplies him with all the necessaries and many of the luxuries of life.
After their arrival in California Mr. and Mrs. Richardson became the parents of a son, Ephraim, who is now residing in Oakdale. There are also eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. His wife, who long shared with him the sorrows and joys of life, traveling by his side as a faithful companion and helpmeet on life's journey for fifty-two years, was called to her final rest on the 19th of January, 1897, at the age of seventy-two years, four months and fifteen days. She was very devoted to her family, counting no sacrifice or labor too great that would promote the happiness or enhance the welfare of her husband or children. In return she received their deepest love and respect, and she also enjoys the warm regard of a large circle of friends.
For many years Mr. Richardson has been a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity and is now a representative of Oakdale Lodge, No. 275, F. & A. M. He also belongs to Modesto Lodge, No. 49, R. A. M. His political support has long been given to the Democracy and at one time he served as a justice of the peace, but has never sought or desired office. Throughout a long and active business career he has been known as a man of unquestioned integrity, his word being as good as his bond. His has been an active and useful career, in which determined purpose has enabled him to conquer all obstacles and advance steadily upon the path to success until he has reached the goal of prosperity. At the same time he has taken an active part in the work of developing the rich lands of California, and of reclaiming the waste stretches for the purposes of civilization. Such men therefore wrought for the prosperity and upbuilding of the communities which they represented.
[Representative Citizens of Northern California, Standard Genealogical Publishing Company, Chicago, 1901, Page 611]
THOMAS RICHARDSON Whenever the real history of California is written, the student must have recourse to such lives as that of the late Thomas Richardson, the distinguished pioneer of Oakdale, who died in November, 1908, at the ripe old age of ninety years. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., on September 28, 1818, the son of Robert Richardson who had married Miss Catherine Bullen. That lady was also born in Bourbon County, and there she met and married young Mr. Richardson, who hailed from Virginia. He became a soldier in the War of 1812, where he fought with Matson's command, a part of Harrison's army, and spiked some of the British guns at the battle of the Thames. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Richardson took their baby son Thomas and moved to Pike County, Mo., and eight years later they went on to Pike County, Ill., where they pitched their tent at Martinsburg, not far from Pittsfield, and there remained while Thomas grew to maturity.
When he was ready to push out into the world, Mr, Richardson went to Iowa, and for four years he worked on the Government farm along the Des Moines River, at the Black Hawk agency. There were then only three or four white people on the farm, and all the rest were savage Black Hawk Indians, and he got to know rather intimately the most noted chieftains, among whom was the leader, Black Hawk, in his day infamous for his cruelty. Leaving the farm, Mr. Richardson returned to Pike County, Ill., and in 1845 was married there. Five years later he set out for California across the great plains, traveling with an ox-team; and having reached the American River, he mined for a couple of weeks. In December, 1851, he set out for the East by the route of the water-ways, and the next year came back to California, once again crossing the prairies and bringing along his family. On this occasion, as well as on his previous trip, Mr. Richardson was captain of his company. He located on the Stanislaus River, and by 1862 he had 700 acres of land, which he improved in a very creditable manner. In 1867 he erected his residence; and being a sensible man, and one fond of domestic life, he made the house commodious as well as ornate. He laid out most of the ranch for general farming, reserving about eighty acres for an orchard to be leased to someone else. He also went in for a vineyard, and in that way he easily made of the ranch a veritable "show place." Besides this, he bought lands in the Lone Star section, where at one time he owned 7,000 acres. Unfortunately he had sold this land to Tulloch and took his note in payment. Tulloch failed and did not pay the note. About the same time Mr. Richardson had gone security for an $11,000 note for Coleman, the Stockton merchant. Mr. Coleman failed and Mr. Richardson had to pay the note; and so, with two losses, he lost the 7,000 acres of land. Mr. Richardson also owned 160 acres about one and one-half miles southeast of Oakdale, which he farmed. A man of wide experience and the strictest integrity, enjoying the esteem and confidence of all who knew him, Mr. Richardson, as a Democrat, was accorded the honor of a delegate to that party's conventions, and was called upon to serve a term as justice of the peace at Oakdale.
The marriage of Mr. Richardson, already referred to, occurred in Illinois on January 9, 1845, when he took for his bride Miss Lucinda Jane Waggoner, a native daughter of Tennessee. Two children were born of this union; the elder was John J., the younger, Ephriam. Mr. Richardson belonged to Oakdale Lodge No. 275, F. & A. M., in which he was steward, and to the Modesto Chapter No. 49, R. A. M. Besides rearing their own children, Mr. and Mrs. Richardson brought up the late Thomas Snedigar, who was orphaned in Illinois. He accompanied them to California, and with the blessing of their parentage, became a wealthy landowner and leader.
[History of Stanislaus County, California With Biographical Sketches, By George H. Tinkham Press of Historic Record Company Los Angeles, California 1921, Page 302]
|Richardson, Thomas (I1778)
||Title John Ward Christian dictation: Beaver City, Utah|
Authors John Ward Christian, Hubert Howe Bancroft
Length 3 pages
Subjects Cargo ships
Mountain Meadows Massacre, Utah, 1857
|Christian, John Ward (I1235)
||Tuesday, March 21, 1848, Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, N.C.)|
-Died: In Union county on the 29th, Solomon MARSH, aged 85.
|Marsh, Solomon (I265)
||U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006 about Josephine Virginia Hester|
Name: Josephine Virginia Hester
Service Info.: CAPT US ARMY
Birth Date: 8 Mar 1920
Death Date: 5 Feb 1989
Relation: Wife Of Hester, Finley Webb
Interment Date: 10 Feb 1989
Cemetery: Willamette National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 11800 SE MT. Scott Boulevard Portland, OR 97266
Buried At: Section S Site 3210
|Culverhouse, Josephine Virginia (I4298)
||U.S. Veterans Gravesites:|
Name: James T McManus
Service Info.: US NAVY WORLD WAR I
Birth Date: 8 Aug 1896
Death Date: 20 Dec 1974
Cemetery: Hilltop Cemetery
Cemetery Address: Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
|McManus, James Thomas (I1617)
||U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 about Willard Kupias|
Name: Willard Kupias
Birth Date: 8 Sep 1917
Death Date: 25 Sep 2002
Branch 1: AF
Enlistment Date 1: 14 Sep 1937
Release Date 1: 1 Aug 1961
Ancestry.com. U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
Original data: Beneficiary Identification Records Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) Death File. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
|Kupias, Willard Victor (I2183)
||United States Social Security Death Index|
first name: Robert
middle name: C
last name: Culverhouse
birth date: 30 July 1923
social security number: 251-42-0936
place of issuance: South Carolina
last residence: Muscogee, Georgia
zip code of last residence: 31907
death date: 1 December 2003
estimated age at death: 80
|Culverhouse, Robert C (I4301)
||US Veterans Gravesites Index:|
Name: Thomas Milton Suddath
Service Info.: PFC US MARINE CORPS
Birth Date: 7 Feb 1942
Death Date: 28 Feb 2002
Cemetery: MT Olivet Cemetery
Cemetery Address: Pauls Valley, OK 73075
|Suddath, Thomas Milton (I847)
||Utah Death Index:|
Name: John Ward Christian
Death Date: 9 Jan 1921
State File Number: 1921000141
County of Death: Beaver
|Christian, John Ward (I1235)
||V.E. Kendall, "Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973"|
Name: V.E. Kendall
Spouse's Name: Nellie Hockaday
Event Date: 06 Jan 1909
Event Place: Grayson County, Texas
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00036-2
System Origin: Texas-EASy
GS Film number: 1290421
Reference ID: p 447
||Vital Records of Medway ||Fairbanks, George (I3900)
||Volume 1 page 105 Certificate #1359 Pike County ||Waggoner, Jesse Minter Junior (I2799)
||Volume 3 Page 391 Certificate #3 Pike County ||Waggoner, William Jackson (I2810)
||Walker County Marriage Records|
Book 6 Page 258
||Walpole, MA - Death Records, 198. Day, John (dup. h. Mary), "kild at Rhoad Island" (dup. R.I.), Oct. 19, 1777.|
Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutionary War, Vol 4,
page 576: Day, John, Walpole, Private, Capt. Seth Bullard's (Walpole) co., Col. John Smith's regt., which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775; service, 7 days; also, Capt Joshua Clap's North co. in Walpole, Col. Ephraim Wheelock's regt. commanded by Maj. Metcalf; service, 24 days, at Warwick, R.I.,on the alarm of Dec. 8, 1776; also,Capt Oliver Clap's co., Col. Benjamin Haws's regt.; enlisted Sept. 25, 1777; service, 27 days, on a secret expedition to Rhode Island; reported killed Oct. 19, 1777.
The Minute Men and other Patriots of Walpole, Mass; page 22: DAY, John, son of Jeremiah and Mary, born Nov. 16, 1734. Private on April 19, 1775, in Capt. Seth Bullard's Col, Col. John Smith's Regt., 7 days; also in Rhode Island, where he was killed on Oct. 19, 1777. Buried in the Old Town Cemetery.
|Day, John (I5393)
||Washington Death Index, 1940-1996 about Josephine V Hester|
Name: Josephine V Hester
Date of Death: 5 Feb 1989
Place of Death: Tacoma
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1921
|Culverhouse, Josephine Virginia (I4298)
||Willard V. Kupias: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice|
Daily News, The (Longview, WA) - Tuesday, October 8, 2002
Deceased Name: Willard V. Kupias
Former Winlock resident Willard Victor Kupias, 85, died Sept. 25, 2002, at a Morton, Wash., nursing home.
He was born Sept. 8, 1917, in Ironwood, Michigan, to August and Aina Lukala Kupias. He moved to Lewis County and lived in Winlock from 1968 to 1976, when he moved to Chehalis for a year before moving to Morton.
Mr. Kupias was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the Air Force's Strategic Air Command as a captain after 24 years of service. He was a lifetime member of the American Legion and belonged to the National Rifle Association and the Republican Party. He enjoyed recording family history with audio recordings and photography. He also enjoyed leather tooling and inventing.
He is survived by three daughters, Norma Hansen of Salem, and Pat Anderson and Mary Garrison, both of Winlock; a sister, Viola Brainard of Austin, Texas; seven grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
A military memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at 571 Winlock-Vader Road, Winlock. For directions call (360)785-3381.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Assured Home Health, 567B W. Main St., Chehalis, WA 98532.
Arrangements by Cattermole Funeral Home, Winlock.
|Kupias, Willard Victor (I2183)
William Brown, a prominent and substantial farmer of Pleasant Township,
Clark County, is numbered among its most successful men, and one who has
contributed largely to the best interests of his community. A native of
Summerford, Madison County, Ohio, he was born November 13, 1829, to James and
Mary Ann (Burnside) Brown, the former of whom was a native of New York State,
and born June 21 1795, on what was known as the German Flats, southeast of
the city of Albany.
The father of our subject received but a common-school education, and
remained a resident of his native place until a youth of nineteen years. He
then emigrated to Upper Canada, accompanying his father?s family thither.
His father was a member of the New York General Assembly, and remained until
the Assembly adjourned, while the son went to Canada to look after the
family. Grandfather Brown, however, was not permitted to join them, as he
sickened and died. A message was sent to Canada but the mother could not
believe the story, and sent her son James, in haste on horseback to Albany
where he learned the melancholy truth, but did not arrive in time to see his
father buried. The family lived in Canada only about three months, then
returned to New York State, this being during the year 1812.
James Brown at this time being of suitable years and stature to enter the
army, was for a time held by the British with the intention of pressing him
into their service. After examination, however, he was released and rejoined
his family. The mother had already removed to Ohio, and James followed
shortly afterward. They settled two and one-half miles southwest of
Mechanicsburg, and James remained with his mother until his marriage, which
took place November 13, 1823. He then with his young wife removed to
Summerford, Madison County, where he purchased a farm of two hundred and
eight acres, all of which he improved, building up a good homestead, where he
resided until his death. This event took place March 13, 1870.
James Brown possessed more than ordinary industry and perseverance, and as
the result of correct habits was blest with remarkably good health and a
frame of more than ordinary vigor and endurance. He was a valued member of
his community, prominent in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a sincere and
earnest Christian. During his early manhood he was a strong supporter of the
old Whig party. Upon its abandonment he wheeled into the Republican ranks,
and maintained his allegiance to this party until the close of his life. To
him and his good wife there were born the following children, the eldest of
whom, a daughter Caroline, is the wife of William Sanford. The others were
named respectively: William, David, Hiram, Eliza, the wife of Harmon Ditz;
Delilah, Mrs. William Wilkinson; Rachel, Mary M., (the wife of Jacob C.
Vanness); and Melissa, The wife of Charles N. Lafferty.
The death of James Brown occurred very suddenly as he was sitting in a
chair, apparently in his usual good health. His career was that of a
self-made man, he having started in life at the foot of the ladder, without
other resources than those given him by a kindly Providence. Solely through
his own efforts he worked himself up to a good position, socially and
financially. He was the son of William and Elizabeth (Brooker) Brown, who
were both natives of New York State, where they were reared and married.
Their family consisted of the following named children: Jonathan, James,
Oliver, Cornelius, Amy, Dyer, Sarah and Elizabeth. They all accompanied
their mother to Ohio, and with the exception of Dyer, all are deceased. He
is over ninety years old, and lives in California. The Brown family is of
Scotch extraction, and have been noted for the possession of the substantial
qualities peculiar to their nationality.
The mother of our subject was born December 14, 1803, in Bedford County,
Va., and was a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Frankinberger) Burnside,
who were likewise natives of the Old Dominion. The maternal grandparents of
our subject were natives of Virginia, and moved to the young State of Ohio
about 1807, settling first in the Caesar?s Creek Township, Greene County.
Two years later they removed to the vicinity of Mechanicsburg, where Mr.
Burnside died in October, 1823. His widow subsequently made her home with
her eldest son and died at the age of eighty-six years. Grandfather Burnside
was a blacksmith by trade, at which he worked in the army during the War of
1812. His children were named respectively: William, Joel, Mary, Malinda,
Lucinda, Hester, Elizabeth and Michael. With the exception of Hester, all
are married. William, our subject spent his early years after the manner of
most farmer?s sons, and received a practical education in the common school.
He was a youth of more than ordinary intelligence, and developed into a
teacher, which profession he followed several terms.
Upon reaching his majority, Mr. Brown started out in life for himself,
choosing farming for his life vocation. In 1855 he purchased eighty acres of
land upon which he has since maintained his residence. His industry and good
judgment brought him the reward of prosperity, and as his capital
accumulated, he invested it in land, and is now the owner of four hundred and
forty broad acres, and of quality as choice as any to be found in the Buckeye
The year following the purchase of his land Mr. Brown was married,
October 15, 1856, to Miss Jane Mitchell, the wedding taking place at the bride
?s home in Madison County. Mrs. Brown was born in Pike Township, Madison
County, this State, February 19, 1837, to Abijah F. and Margaret Ann
(Standley) Mitchell. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell were among the earliest settlers
of Madison County and endured all the toil and privation incident to life in
a new country. Mr. Mitchell opened up a farm in the wilderness, making for
himself and family a comfortable home. The mother died September 16, 1876,
the father makes his home with our subject.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Brown, the eldest of whom, a
daughter Maude, died August 1, 1873, at the age of eleven years. The
survivors are Walter A., Myrtie E. and Nellie R. In politics Mr. Brown is an
uncompromising Democrat--a man of decided views, and one who is not easily
turned from his convictions. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Methodist
Portrait Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio. Chapman
Bros, Chicago, 1890; pages 454-455.
|Brown, William (I1146)
||William Herron shows up in the 1880 Philadelphia City Census, aged 11, living with parents Patrick and Mary Herron. Both of them are shown as age 40 and having been born in Ireland. I am unable to determine where or when they came into the U.S. I believe their ancestors originated in Holland, then Scotland, then Ireland before coming to the U.S. William is the only child I'm aware of. I have a date of birth of 12 Nov 1869. We *believe* this was William Howard Herron Senior, but I have no written proof.|
Senior probably came to Oklahoma because of his work with the railroad. There are instances of other family members in the Oklahoma City area in the 1910s. He was a Freemason and a member of the Oklahoma City #1 lodge.
He had one son with Ada...William Howard Herron Jr. Jr. was born 03 Aug 1920 in Oklahoma City.
William Senior was killed on 05 Mar 1932. He was walking along the top of a freight train that was moving through the switch yard in Oklahoma City. Somehow he tripped and fell in between the cars, and was decapitated as the train ran over him. William Jr. talked about going to his father's funeral at age 12...his mother (Ada) told him to go and kiss his father goodbye in the casket. When he did, he saw that his father's head had no body attached to it. Junior was also a Freemason and attended funerals as a part of his service, but he hated them. Junior also took medication to help him get through the funerals.
by William Howard Herron III
|Herron, William Howard Senior (I4337)
||William Howard Herron Junior was born 03 Aug 1920 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to WH Herron and Ada F Holcomb, both of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The birth certificate also states that Ada has one additional child. That must have been from the Ripley marriage.|
He spent most of his life in and around Oklahoma City. He married Marguerite Elizabeth Kenney (born 01 Nov 1924, Hastings, Nebraska; died 03 Mar 1985, Lowry City, Missouri) around 1941.
Junior served with the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II. He was stationed with the 8th Air Force, 457th Bomb Group (Heavy) in Glatton, England. He was a navigator flying on the B-17. I have documentation that he flew 7 or 8 missions, and discussed the missions with his plane captain and another crewmember to confirm details. He was injured during a bombing run over Germany when shrapnel entered the plane from below...he was wounded in his butt. A scar, but no long-term damage. He left as a 2nd Lieutenant. He was recalled for the Korean War, and was ordered to the Asian theater but didn't get there. He spent much of the Korean War as a motor pool manager in Fort Worth, Texas. He did not speak of his war experiences within the family.
He worked for Sooner Box Company in Oklahoma City for many years. (His wife's father owned the company.) He also ran Thunderbird Labels, a printing company in Oklahoma City. He was a Freemason, and had earned the 32nd Degree.
He moved to Rockaway Beach, Missouri early in the 1980s. He lived there until his wife's death in March of 1985, and then returned to Oklahoma City to be near his son's family.
He died 26 Sep 1985 in Yukon, Oklahoma, in his son's home. The official cause of death was respiratory failure and carcinoma of the lung. (The family noted that it was almost six months since his wife had died, and believes he died of a broken heart.)
by William Herron
|Herron, William Howard Junior (I5602)
||WILLIAM ZEIGLER of Crawford County Georgia|
1799 - 1855
Although he lived most of his life in Crawford County, Georgia, William Zeigler chose to be buried in the prestigious Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia on Magnolia Ridge block 2 lot 9. In his will, he left detailed instructions for an elaborate burial site to be constructed by his nephew and executor John Washington Dent (who lived in Crawford County and married Elizabeth Hoy, daughter of James Hoy). Outside the vault which was
built into the hillside along the Ocmulgee River, a separate monument was inscribed: "William Zeigler Born Nov. 18th 1799 Died June 11th 1855 He was born in Orangeburg District South Carolina whence he removed to Georgia in
the year 1827 and resided in Crawford County where he was respected and esteemed by many friends during his life of usefulness. He lies here at his special request. May he rest in peace."
William was the son of Nicholas Zeigler (born circa 1765 in South Carolina and died 20 January 1841 in Autauga County, Alabama) and his unknown first wife.
On 4 February 1820 in Richland County, South Carolina, Nicholas Zeigler gave each of his children at that time a Deed of Gift. Nicholas named two slaves, Sy and Phebe, to be given to William when he "attained the age of twenty-one." In 1827, Nicholas and most of his family left South Carolina for Georgia and eventually Autauga County, Alabama. William stayed in Georgia.
William Zeigler had three siblings: Catherine (born 10 May 1797 in South Carolina and died 3 June 1834 at William's home in Crawford County) who married William Dent of South Carolina; Henry (born 1802 in South Carolina) who married Nancy Zeigler; and Lewis (born 1803 in South Carolina) who
married Sarah (Sally) Zeigler. Henry and Lewis moved to Autauga County, Alabama. Catherine and her husband William Dent later separated. Catherine lived with her brother William while her estranged husband lived in Madison
County, Tennessee with Hepsobah Gartman from South Carolina with whom he had three daughters.
There is no evidence that William Zeigler ever married. He was listed on the 1820 Census of Edgefield District, South Carolina with no family and 9 slaves. He was listed in the 1830 Census of Crawford County living with an older male and 25 slaves. In the 1840 Census of Crawford County, he had 67 slaves. In the 1840 tax roll, he had 405 acres in Crawford County and 40 acres in Cherokee County. In the 1850 Census of Crawford County, he was listed as a Planter with property valued at $40,110. It is said that he had
three plantations. Upon his death in 1855, William left cash gifts totaling $432,500 (the equivalent of $11,479,945.51 in 2015).
In his will dated 28 July 1854 in Crawford County, William directed "that the colored children of my Woman Slave Mary, be taken to a state where the laws thereof will tolerate their Manumission." Each child was also given $30,000, and Mary received $10,000 as well as her manumission. Because of his generosity and concern for her children William Henry, Malinda Ann, and Octavius, we can assume that William was their father. (Under Georgia law from 1750 until 1967, whites were banned from marrying all non-whites.) The will also directed that his other slaves be sold in family groups.
William's will directed that John Washington Dent, the son of his sister Catherine, receive five slaves and several pieces of property. William Dent, a great nephew and the oldest son of John, received $500 which was perhaps a namesake gift. After his other properties were sold and his debts paid, the remainder of William's estate was to be divided among his siblings who eventually realized $80,000 each. As his sister Catherine had predeceased him, the will
stated that her share be divided among her four children: Mary (Polly) Caroline Dent May, Jane Ann Dent White, John Washington Dent and Mary Ann Dent Early. William's will specifically excluded his half-siblings from heirship.
John Washington Dent followed the directions of his uncle's will and took Mary and her children to Batavia, Clermont County, Ohio.
An unknown friend penned William's obituary
saying, "In his business habits he was very attentive and economical, whereby he was enabled in twenty-eight years to increase his capitol from ten thousand to three hundred thousand dollars; thus furnishing indubitable evidence that a farmer may become rich. In his dealings he was strictly
honest. In times of scarcity he would bid the rich and monied, who wished to buy provisions of him, to go to a distance and buy; that they had money and credit and could buy anywhere, and submit to the inconveniences and expense
of transporting or carriage; that many of his neighbors had neither money nor credit, and that they must have corn and meat; thus he was a benefactor to the less fortunate. He never attached himself to any Church, but his faith was right. Over a year ago he remarked to the writer of this notice, that he relied upon the mercy of his Maker, and hoped for salvation through the merit's of the Redeemer's blood."
|Zeigler, William (I54)
||Wisconsin Birth Index:|
Orlando O Voss Birth:
21 Apr 1886
|Voss, Orlando Oliver (I1747)
Mrs. Ida D. Dent Dies in Georgia
Published Nov. 10, XXXX, DeLand, Volusia County, Florida
Mrs. Ida Dennis Dent, mother of Durwood Dennis, DeLand, died Monday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hoy Dent, Roberta, Ga.
Besides her daughter with whom she made her home, and her son here, Mrs. Dent is survived by another son, Earl W. Dennis, Clearfield, Utah, five grandchildren and five greatgrandchildren.
The Dennis family were pioneers in West Volusia County, with J. B. Dennis, father of Durwood Dennis, the first person buried in DeLeon Springs Cemetery.
|Zellner, Sara Ida Lena (I1847)