Notes


Tree:  

Matches 201 to 250 of 1,144

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
201 California Death Records:
BILES 08/29/1949 KENNEDY BILES M CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA 08/29/1949 07 hrs  
Biles, John Broomall (I2203)
 
202 Captain John Dent article in The Maryland Dents

Last Update: August 1999

[Excerpt from Harry Wright Newman, The Maryland Dents, The Dietz Press: Richmond VA, Copyright 1963 by Magruder Dent, pp. 107-113]

CAPTAIN JOHN DENT, GENT.
16-- 1712

The relationship of Captain John Dent to Judge Thomas Dent has puzzled the family historian as well as professional antiquarians. It has been stated often in print without documentation that he was a younger brother of Thomas, but it can definitely be disregarded, inasmuch as a John Dent was not listed as a son of Peter Dent, of Gisborough, Yorks, in the 1684 Visitation of Cambridgeshire. That he was a kinsman, there is no doubt, and a nephew would be the most logical assumption, but even then he may have been a cousin as used in the modern sense.

After an analysis of all factors with the Christian names of his children as the best criterion for inference, it is most likely that he was a nephew and the son of George Dent, of Gisborough, brother to Judge Thomas Dent, both being sons of Peter Dent, of Gisborough, and Margaret Nicholson his wife. The only alternative for being a nephew to Judge Thomas Dent would be a son to William, of Gisborough, but George was given as a Christian name to one of John's sons, whereas William was not.

John Dent came into Maryland about 1658 with Thomas Dent who claimed land rights in 1663 for his transportation, and in that year John Dent witnessed a conveyance of William Hatton to Thomas Dent. The year previous or 1662 he witnessed the last will and testament of William Hewes who bequeathed his entire estate to William Hatton of William and William Dent of Thomas. In 1695 he employed William Dent of Thomas his attorney to institute legal action against on Lemaister. In those years it is therefore evident that he was in close association with Thomas Dent and was a freeholder of age.

In 1663 he witnessed the conveyance of 100 acres by John Hatch, of Hatch's Neck, who became his father-in-law. He was well established as a planter by September 1666, when he entered his cattle marks at court in Charles County. At court in June 1667, he sued Gerard Brown, the administrator of the estate of John Brown, for a debt of 400 lbs. tob. The same year he witnessed a deed of conveyance between Thomas Baker and Thomas Pope.

In 1669 he presented at court his servant, Robert Kent, whose age was adjudged as 12 years. That the colonists enslaved some of the Indians as bond servants is a well-established fact and in 1690 we have the case of James Boareman, an Indian servant of Captain John Dent, absenting himself from his master's service.

In 1670 he was appointed by the court to appraise the estate of Walter Beane, of Charles County. The next year he paid an alienation fee for his purchase of "Cumberston" from Francis Pope. The declaration was made by him in March 1679, at which time Francis Pope was deceased.

His early days in the Province were spent in Charles County near his kinsman, but he eventually resided in the northern portion of St. Mary's County near present Charlotte Hall where his reputed house is still standing.

On March 20, 1672, as John Dent, of St. Mary's County, he proved land rights for 50 acres for his time of service performed in the Province and 50 acres by assignment from George gunnell. Thomas Dent was a witness. The latter could be none other than Judge Thomas Dent and again it implied close association in that year. The nature of the service performed was not disclosed. Thomas Dent did not declare him as a redemptioner in 1663, but it is possible that he was, and then it is also possible that he apprenticed himself to some planter for a limited time and thus was entitled to land rights at the termination of his indentureship.

To add to the intricacies of his status, Thomas Dent entered land rights the second time for a John Dent in 1673. The question is therefore whether the two applications for land rights by Thomas Dent were for the one and the same or rather two John Dents entered the Province. It is also possible and consistent with the times that he left the Province for a brief period and returned with his passage covered by Thomas Dent and thus only one John Dent to be accounted for.

Whether there were two John Dents and the one who was transported by Judge Thomas Dent in 1658 died young and without issue is an unsolved question, but it is certain that John Dent who later figured prominently in military affairs of the Province and two insurrections against the Proprietary Party was the freeholder in 1669.

As early as 1681, he was involved with Josias Fendall, former Governor of the Province, and Captain John Coode in their attempt to overthrow the rule of Lord Baltimore. They failed at that time but were successful in 1689.

For the 50 acres due for his service, and an assignment of 50 acres from George Gunnell, he was granted in 1674 "Barnaby", of 60 acres, which adjoined his plantation of "Cumberston". The 40 odd acres were applied to another patent and with an added 100 acres were surveyed into "Promise".

Some 20 years after his arrival in the Province or in 1679 he was commissioned a Justice of the Peace for St. Mary's County. There are records of his serving in that capacity in 1680, 1684-85 and 1689. In 1694 he was a Justice of the Quorum. On June 6, 1692, he served on a special commission of "Oyer and Terminer".

In 1689 he was Captain of the Foot for Chaptico Hundred, the year in which the insurgents suppressed Proprietary rule under the Calverts and ushered in a period of Royal Government direct from the Crown. On May 7, 1694, Benjamin Hall, of St. Mary's, read a petition before the General Assembly for the return of some guns and ammunition taken from Captain Bowling, late of St. Mary's County, in the time of the Revolution by Captain John Dent with whose widow (Bowling's) Hall had since intermarried.

It is not known whether by his own inner convictions or whether he was converted by his Puritan father-in-law, John Hatch, who had passed on by the 1689 Revolution, but John Dent and his family in their public life espoused the cause of liberalism. He sent his son, Peter, back to England to study at Jesus College, Cambridge, always know for its liberal teachings, and when his son, Michael, was admitted to the bar in Maryland, he refused to take the Royal Oath of Allegiance and Supremacy but subscribed only to the Oath of Parliament.

His liberalism aligned him with the Anti-Proprietary Party and as mentioned previously participated in the overthrow of Lord Baltimore's Government by the ultra-liberals in 1689. His honours were therefore mostly during the Royal Regime in the reign of William and Mary. In 1696 he was among those planters who signed an address to "His Sacred Majesty" upon the arrival of the news of "his escape from assassination".

By June 1678, John Dent had acquired nuptial status, but circumstances would place his marriage much earlier. On that date he and Mary his wife conveyed "Promise", of 140 acres, to Richard Ashman. The deed of conveyance was acknowledged by Richard Edelen, Gent., as attorney for the grantors. His wife was the daughter and heiress of Captain John Hatch who had been transported by Clobery & Co., for their trading post on the Isle of Kent under the supervision of the indominable William Claiborne. After the expulsion of Claiborne from Maryland, Hatch settled in St. Mary's County, served in the Lower House, and was active with Fendall and Coode in their unsuccessful insurrection. He died presumably early in 1681, anyhow, he was deceased by November of that year, when the Provincial Court of Maryland investigated the treason of Fendall and Coode.

John Dent was summoned to appear before the Court and deposed that he had been at Mr. Hatch's house to attend his funeral, when on his way home in the road in the woods near John Gooches, he met Captain Josiah Fendall. Fendall asked him the news, to which Dent replied that he lived in the forest, where they had little or no news. Fendall questioned him as to the confederation between the Roman Catholics and the Indians.

Thomas Perry, of St. Mary's, also made a deposition stating that he had heard Mr. John Dent say that he and Captain Fendall had a meeting. Fendall asked him whether he had heard any news, but Dent replied, "Captain Fendall I have often heard you talk in this manner, but I should like you better if you said less and did more. If there be occasion do but send me word, for most part of the forest where I live will be at my command to do what I would have them".

Fendall replied "If we could secure [meaning perhaps capture] His Lordship, the Chancelor, the Secretary and Colonel Darnall, the rest would fall of course. As to Esq. Talbott, I know not what to make of him".

Dent furthermore stated that when he came to St. Mary's His Lordship tendered him the Bible to take his oath at which he was much startled and unwilling to declare anything, whereupon His Lordship "huffed and Flurted his periwig and seemed very much dissatisfied".

Dent was afraid to talk, for fear of Fendall should impeach him, but "that night considering with himself that Fendall was a prisoner and could do him no hurt, he might freely speak". Dent then replied that if he had declared all that he knew about Fendall and which he heard Fendall say "at his father-in-law Hatch's burial he could hang him".

Before his death John Dent had acquired a landed estate of some proportion. His seat was in the woods, as he stated, meaning in that day that it was away from a water course. It was in the vicinity of present Charlotte Hall School for Boys on which was later discovered a medicinal spring. An old house, known as the Dent House, is alleged to have been built by him.

Apparently Captain Dent discovered the healing qualities of his spring and word soon circulated that it had miraculous powers to cure lameness and other diseases. At a session of the General Assembly of April 1698, it was recorded "as to Captn Dents Ls about the Coole Spring, it is looked upon as an Idle Letter not worth any answer". At a subsequent Assembly, however, more serious consideration was given to its healing powers.

The Lower House on November 1, 1698, ordered that a committee be formed to purchase 50 acres for the use of Coole Spring and if the owner objected, then to exercise the rights of eminent domain. Ten days later it was recorded in the minutes of the Lower House "for the support of poor Diseased and lame persons, if it shall please God that the Coole Springs do continue to make the like Cures as lately that the house would appropriate 100 that is in Bancke (besides the 800 now allotted toward the Discharge of the Levy) for the building of small Tenements at the said Coole Spring for the Entertainment of such lame diseased persons as shall restore thither for Cure of their Lameness & Diseases".

The Vestry of All Faith's Parish likewise became interested and on November 24, 1698, ordered the parish to purchase for a consideration of 25 fifty acres of land near "a fountain of healing water" from Captain John Dent.

At the 1698 session it was also recorded "that it had please God to withdraw from us his afflicting hand of sickness and Restoreing health and blessing us with Severall Beneficiall and healing Waters Called the Coole Spring which by his blessing have wrought many wonderfull and Signall Cures".

The Council also acted and it was ordered that the Governor place ten Bibles for the use of the poor people who came to be healed and some "sober person" read prayers there twice a day and to be given 12 pence a day for his services and also to send "a Book of Homilys, two books of Family Devotions & a Book of Reformed Devotions written by Dr. Theophilus Dorrington of which Books he is read to them on Sundays". There also to be constructed a reading desk and some benches made in the New House for the reader to read Prayers and the people to sit on.

At the session of June 1699, Captain John Dent petitioned the Assembly that "in Compensation of his loss att the Cool Springs he and his heirs onely may have liberty to keep Ordinary att the said Springs" without license fees. It was furthermore suggested at the session of July 3, 1669, that 50 acres had been ordered to be purchased at 25, and that the remaining 75 be used for the construction of the tenements.

On July 1, 1699, Dent made another appeal to maintain an Ordinary for himself and heirs, but the Lower House declared that it had no power to grant such a license. However, he "may applye himself to the County Court".

But on July 2, 1699, Captain Jacob Moreland, a member of the Assembly, reported that he tendered Mr. John Dent the conveyance to act in the presence of two Justices of the Peace which "he Absolutely refused and denyed that he had made any Bargaine with the Country for the Sd Land". By the spring session of the Assembly for 1700, Captain Dent had not conveyed the land.

Peter, his son, who was abroad at the writing of his father's will, was undoubtedly the Peter Dent of Maryland who matriculated at Jesus College, Cambridge, on November 13, 1700. Michael, another son, was of age by January 1696/7, when he was admitted as an attorney of the Province and subscribed to the Oath of Parliament instead of "ye oaths of allegiance and supremacy". Michael died, however, intestate and unmarried a short time thereafter. His father refused to administer on his estate, and in August 1697, he wrote to Robert Mason, the greatest creditor, "I have once and again told I will not administer on my son's estate, for I will not be made rich by my son".

Children of John and Mary (Hatch) Dent
1. Peter Dent, returned to England.
2. Michael Dent, d.s.p.
3. John Dent married Catherine ------------. q.v.
4. George Dent married Elizabeth Short and Mary ------------. q.v.
5. Mary Dent.
6. Lydia Dent married Samuel Turner.
7. Anne Dent married John Cadle [Caudle].
8. Abigail Dent.
9. Christian Dent married Thomas Suite.

Captain Dent executed his last will and testament on September 25, 1711, which was duly proved at court in Charles County on May 5, 1712.

To son John he devised "Cumberston", "Barnaby", "Reading", "Evan's Addition",
the land and house at Newporte, "Providence", "Pearl's Progress", "Harrison's
Adventure" aggregating 1325 acres and the estate devised the testator by John
Harrison, but son John was not to pay the Lord's rent until he acquired possession.
To son Peter "if he comes to Maryland to settle" then he was to have the devisees of John.
To daughter Mary "Ashman's Freehold".
To daughter Lydia "St Ann's" of 100 acres.
To daughter Anne "St. Stephen Coleman" of 200 acres and "Evan's Reserve" of 100 acres.
To daughter Abigail "Love's Adventure" of 136 acres.
To daughter Christian "Coldwell's" of 331 acres and tract taken out of "Trentfork" of
25 acres, "Horse Range" of 200 acres, but if son Peter came into Maryland, then
"Horse Range" to him. In the event that Christian died without issue then
the realty was to revert to testator's family, but if daughter had an heir of her
body then to her heirs forever.
To his "disobedient son George" "Haphazard" of 50 acres, and "Freestone Point" of
324 acres, but if son Peter came into Maryland to dwell then one half of
"Freestone "Point" to him.
Wife to hold all the lands and housing and mill or mills already built or hereafter
built during life and at her death to dispose of her one-half of personal estate
as she thought fit.
Residuary estate to wife and son John and they to be executors.

His personal estate was appraised at 269/10/7, with George Dent and Samuel Turner approving as the kinsmen. Among the items were one drum, guns, three swords, two canes, books, but there were no slaves or indentured servants.

His widow, Mary Dent, died in 1725/6. Her son, John Dent, was granted letters of administration, with his bond dated March 5, 1725/6, assured by George Dent and John Caudle. Samuel Turner and George Dent approved the valuation of her personal estate on June 2, 1726.

 
Dent, Captain John (I462)
 
203 Cause of death:
Team ran away with load of lumber threw him off & broke his neck, was drunk at the time 
Conway, John (I4906)
 
204 Charles Donald Reiner met his wife Sevilla H Reitz, daughter of John and Mary "Polly" Reitz, in Nebraska where they were married 3 Nov 1881. Following their marriage, the couple lived in Waverly, NE where Charles ran a little store. Their first child, Ralph Oliver, was born 26 Sep 1882. Two girls, Ella May and Mary Lydia, were born 5 Feb 1884 and 8 Apr 1888, respectively.
Charles became ill and was so thin that Sevilla could lift him. His normal weight was about 200 pounds, and he was almost 6' tall. Thus, the family decided to move to California for Charles' health. They sold everything to raise money for the trip.
Charles Donald Reiner, his wife Sevilla, and three children, Ralph, Ella May, and Mary, arrived in California 1 Jan 1892 after travelling by train from Nebraska. When the family debarked at Sacramento on a sunny day, ten-year-old Ralph announced, "Oh, Father. This is so wonderful. We'll never go back to Nebraska." The family had $40 left. Eventually, they settled in Riverside which was the orange center of California, and Charles soon found work caring for orange groves belonging to a Mr. Martin. Oscar Sr was born that year, followed by the twins, Eva and Neva in 1898. After the twins were born, Ella May dropped out of high school so that she could help at home.
Charles built a small house on 14th Avenue after the family had lived in Riverside for some time. Later, he added an upstairs. That house stood for many years but was torn down after the neighborhood deteriorated and became a miserable part of town.
Neva was on month shy of four years old when she died of double pneumonia, probably a complication from the measles. This was such a shock to Sevilla that she never got over it nor was Neva ever talked about in the family thereafter.
In 1904, the Reiner family moved to Pasadena, perhaps because the house on 14th Avenue reminded Sevilla too much of Neva. At first, the Reiners lived in several rental houses. Eva loved Sundays when the family would go house hunting because she could look into so many "little crazy places." Eva entered first grade at Columbia grammar school which Oscar also attended. Mary was in high school, Ella May was working at the Pottenger Sanatorium in Monrovia, and Ralph was attending the University of California at Berkeley.
Eventually, Charles built a 3-bedroom house on Catalina Avenue, just off Villa Street. He later built another house on the same lot in the rear. Charles worked on a correspondence course in architecture, etc. while in Pasadena. His drawings and penmanship were beautiful despite the fact that he had little or no formal education. Besides constructing his own home, Charles built or helped to build many houses in the Pasadena area.
Peter Fisher, a bachelor friend of the family and former boarder with the Reiners when they lived in Riverside, used to visit, especially on Sundays. "Uncle Pete," as he was known to the Reiner children, eventually married a widow from Los Angeles. Each thought the other had money. Somehow, Pete became interested in a chicken farm in Nipomo, and he and his wife moved there. No one knows for certain who tired of it first but Pete wanted to unload it and managed to interest Charles in it. Charles and Sevilla had farmed before and decided that it would be a good idea. Thus, the Reiner clan packed bag and baggage, only leaving some furniture as the Fishers had left them some. Sevilla, Oscar Sr, and Eva took the Southern Pacific train to San Luis Obispo and then the narrow gauge train to Nipomo, where Charles met them at the station at 5 in the evening.
Along with the chicken farm, the Reiners had ten acres of apricots, two cows, and an old horse, Daisy. Eva learned to ride Daisy bareback with only an Indian style rope twisted around the horse's nose. Eva also learned to harness old Daisy to the family's spring wagon and drove it all over town by herself.
Ella May was the youngest nurse ever to graduate from the Riverside Hospital program and had been working at the Pottenger Sanatorium in Monrovia, California for many years. After her time was up in Monrovia, she came to Santa Maria and got a room. When it was decided that the Reiner family would give up the farm, Ella May got a house, and Oscar and Charles Donald stayed with her. Eventually, the family loaded up everything they had on the farm and went into Santa Maria to live all together in a little old house.
In the meantime, Ella May and Dr. Lucas established a sanitarium in Santa Maria which became known as the Lucas Sanitarium. The Reiners briefly lived next to the sanitarium in the Martin House which later became the Santa Maria Club.
Charles kept up his building business. He hung the doors on the original Ethel Pope Auditorium located on the Santa Maria High School grounds. He was head builder for the Old Presbyterian Church and the Pacific Coast Mill. He built the family a home on the corner of Broadway and Fesler with a small rental house in back where Oscar Sr and his wife Lovie once lived. Later, Oscar Jr rented the house when he was first married.
Charles Donald was offered $200 per month rent for the land where his home was situated by the Gilmore Oil Company. Sevilla did not want to move because she would lose the fireplace. Nevertheless the house was moved about 1928, and, yes, the fireplace was never rebuilt. But the house still stands at 325 West Fesler and Thornburg.
The gas station and the rental house remained on the corner for many years. It is now the site of a fast food store.
Remnants of the Reiner contracting business can still be seen on some sidewalks in Santa Maria. If you look carefully, you may find a "C.D. Reiner and Sons" proudly marking our heritage. Eventually, Oscar Sr's son, Oscar Jr went into the business. Charles Donald had retired some time before. They worked on the May Grisham School, the Orcutt Jr High School except for the gym, the Orcutt School District Offices, Dunlap School, several Lompoc schools, 413 North McClelland (Oscar Sr's home) and 622 South Hart (the former home of Donald Eugene). An oddity, indeed, was Oscar Jr's demolition of the old Orcutt School where Ralph Oliver had at one time been the superintendent, principal, and teacher.
Ralph Oliver, the oldest child in the Reiner family, went to college at the University of California at Berkeley, graduating in 1905. For two years, he was an instructor at Mills Institute ( now Mid-Pacific Institute) in Honolulu. Eva, greatly admiring her older brother and intrigued by the exotic lure of the islands, eventually moved there.
Ralph married Jessie Munro 2 Sep 1908, and two weeks later, they headed to Korea as missionaries for the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions. Two of their children, the twins Ev and Gene spent several extended periods of time with their grandparents when they were about a year old. They became Eva's "kids" calling her "Ah E." When they were in the second grade, they again stayed with their grandparents for about 6 months. This time, Eva was away at Occidental College. On one of Ralph and Jesse's sabbaticals, Philip Charles was born in the downstairs front bedroom of the Reiner house. The was to that room was later removed to expand the living room.
by Donna Reiner from interviews with Eva Reiner Smith
 
Family F1201
 
205 Chickasaw Lanham, Manley Junior (I1521)
 
206 Choctaw Roll:
Name: Noel Aubry Suddath
Gender: Male
Birth Year: abt 1904
Age at Census Enrollment: 1
Enrollment Date: 4 Mar 1905
Tribal Affiliation: Choctaw New Born By Blood
Census Card #: 3
Dawes' Roll #: 4 
Suddath, Noel Aubrey (I817)
 
207 Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia
by Lyman Chalkley
Volume I
AUGUSTA COUNTY COURT RECORDS.
ORDER BOOK No. V.
NOVEMBER 25, 1755.

AUGUST 21, 1756.
(page 225) Esther Clendenning--dead.
 
Mayse, Esther (I7)
 
208 CHRONICLES OF THE SCOTCH-IRISH SETTLEMENT OF VIRGINIA; Vol 2
by Lyman Chalkley
(Page 404) page 125: Ann Clendenning married John Rodgers 
Family F802
 
209 Citing this Record
"Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XLDB-GH7 : 22 December 2016), James S Kennedy and Emaline C Early, 10 Aug 1858; citing Fannin, Texas, United States, county courthouses, Texas; FHL microfilm 1,293,828. 
Family F22
 
210 Col. Elbert Early & Mary Ann Dent Early
Elbert Early was born in Christian County, Kentucky on Dec. 4, 1811. He married Mary Ann Dent on May 23,1837 in Holly Springs, Marshall County, Mississippi. The family moved to the Republic of Texas, Red River County, on Nov. 21, 1839. Elbert and Mary Anne Early were among the first settlers at Fort Lyday. Elbert Early and James Bourland were business partners in Mississippi and Tennessee. They came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and purchased land grants in Lamar County. The Fannin County line later cut through the middle of Elbert Early`s property which was also close to Hunt County on the south. In 1841, Early was a lieutenant in the Texas Rangers. He and Bourland were both involved in the 1841 skirmish on Village Creek. In 1844, Early was the second Sheriff of Lamar County. In 1861, as a Fannin County delegate to the Texas Secession convention in Austin, he voted to secede. At least two sons and a son in-law served in the Confederacy. He was a founder of Cumberland Presbyterian Churches in Ladonia and Dial. Elbert Early and his wife Mary Anne Dent had eleven children, all born in Texas. Elbert died on April 20, 1904. He and his wife are both buried in the Ladonia Cemetery. Mary Early Dishner and Honey Sue Lanham Dodge are descendants of Elbert Early. 
Early, Colonel Elbert (I59)
 
211 Collision of Ship Vandieman from Liverpool, Great Briton to Sandy Hook, Nova Scotia, CANADA. Alder, Alfred (I3891)
 
212 Constance Hopkins was baptized on 11 May 1606 in Hursley, Hampshire, England, to parents Stephen Hopkins
and his first wife Mary.

Constance came with her father Stephen, step-mother Elizabeth, brother Giles, and step-sister Damaris on the Mayflower in 1620, at the age of 14. Constance's future husband, Nicholas Snow, arrived on the ship Anne in 1623. Nicholas and Constance Snow were married shortly before the 1627 Division of Cattle, and lived in Plymouth for a time. Around 1645, the family moved to Eastham.

William Bradford, writing in 1651, stated that Constance Hopkins had 12 children "all of them living". Only 9 can be documented with existing records. Constance, wife of Daniel Doane, is quite probably one of the three "missing" children, but unfortunately there is no conclusive proof. 
Hopkins, Constance (I2413)
 
213 cremated Crosby, Lyman Everett (I570)
 
214 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I665)
 
215 cremation Crosby, William H (I567)
 
216 CWO, US Army Brainard, Carroll Owen (I3342)
 
217 Dallas Morning News, 30 May 1886, Obituary:
"Mrs. Kennedy, aged 75, wife of the late Col. T. D. Kennedy died today at their residence in Ladonia. Both were old Texans, well known." 
Marsh, Louisa A (I96)
 
218 Data for Phillip came from the records located at St Caron's Church in Wales. The originals are no longer available to the public- So I have only the transcripts provided by the Vicar of the Church.
The St Caron's Church records have been moved to the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth, Dyfed SY23 3BU Wales.
Judith Trolinger
HCR 78 Box 234
Ingram, TX 78025
United States
Judy@trolinger.com 
Selby, Phillip (I218)
 
219 Date of Bond: 04 Nov 1790
Bondsman: William Daughtie
Witness: Law Baker 
Family F906
 
220 DAVID N FOX
1875 - 1958 
Fox, David Neil (I373)
 
221 Death Certificate #15843 David Leondis GORDON male white single retired merchant b 12/24/1836 d 7/17/30 TN 7 uremic poisoning/cancer sigruvid/prostrate father John Gordon TN mother KENNEDY TN buried Brick Church informant John GOODMAN Diana TN
 
Gordon, David Leonidas (I2073)
 
222 Death Notice:
Cornell Alumni News, February 1963 page 63
'09 ME E- Miller Fay of 641 NE 57th
St., Miami, Fla., Nov. 13, 1962. He was with
the Trojan Electric Supply Co. of West
Palm Beach, and retired in 1942.
 
Fay, Edward Miller (I4237)
 
223 DEATH REVEALS A LONG LOST SON

Abilene, Kas., May 11-In Bonham, Texas, there is a mother sad but glad; sad an dsorrowing [sic] becauce of the death of a son, glad and expectant to think that she is to once again, after eight years to catch a glimpse of his countenance, even though he lies a corpse. T. S. Grisby {sic] left his home at Bonham ten years ago after some gun play where another young man was pumped with lead from an automatic, in trouble arising over a girl. He was indirectly connected with this and was arrested but cleared. His parents were prosperous and highly respected in the community, and he did not wish to shame them and himself.

He came back after a few months and in a few day suddenly disappeared. His mother did not even hear from him. Then came the message Sunday that a young man known as T. S. Grigsby had died at Manchester and the description fitted that of her long lost and wandering son. Telegrams were exchanged with H. K. Eichlotz and the identity fixed.

Then came Howard Sawyer from Bonham to Abilene to take the body home and he related last night this story. Booze had landed its ?K. O.? as Mr. Sawyer said the young man, 37 years old at the time of his death, could command good wages as the best dry goods salesman in Bonham, Texas. Mr. Sawyer left for Bonham this morning on the Santa Fe. and will arrive there at 8:45 a. m. tomorrow. Grisby died twelve days ago of convulsions at Manchester.

The Salina Daily Union, Salina, Kansas, Thursday, May 11, 1916, Page 7, columns 1 & 2
The month of April is printed on the newspaper and it is crossed out and May is written above it.
 
Grigsby, Thomas S (I2200)
 
224 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I5531)
 
225 DFA Volume I, p. 75:

In the autumn of 1761, Edmund Doane with his wife and seven children sailed from Orleans, Mass., for the Cape Sable District. They embarked at what was then known as "Nathaniel Mayo's Landing," which was a landing, or cover, a little south of the present Congregational Church at East Orleans. Being driven off their course by unfavorable winds they arrived at Liverpool, where they spent the winter. The following spring they returned to the Cape Sable District, and were among the earliest settlers of the township of Barrington.

The first people of English descent to fix their abodes at the head of coves and harbors, around the shores of southwestern Nova Scotia, were fishermen mostly from Cape Cod and Nantucket, in Massachusetts. They were not refugees for loyalty's sake, but simply "hard liners" and net men, who had found out by their fearless cruises in "pink stern" craft, that fish abounded in those waters. The first steps towards an English settlement there were taken immediately after the removal of the French in 1756. The Proclamation of the Nova Scotia Colonial governor, inviting settlers from New England and elsewhere to occupy the vacated lands, followed immediately, and as early as 1757 Governor Lawrence writes of having received "application from a number of Substantial persons in New England, for lands to settle at or near Cape Sable." A first company, for some reason or other, failed to make a settlement, but in 1761-1762 a large number, representing the best families of Cape Cod and Nantucket, removed to the Cape Sable District and formed a settlement at what is now the town of Barrington. They were, for the most part, a lot of intelligent and, so far as the times allowed, educated men...

Edmund Done was of that number of "Substantial persons" from Cape Cod, and doubtless was the first settler of the Doane name in Nova Scotia. Before his removal to Nova Scotia he lived in Eastham, that part set off in 1797 as Orleans. On Eastham records he is recorded as a juryman in 1750 and 1760. There are still in existence one or two of Edmund Doane's old account books, giving evidence that, during his first years in Barrington, he kept a store, the transactions ranging from 1762 to 1767--a general store, such as would be required by the circumstances of the beginning of a new settlement. The chief articles of trade were rum, flour by the pound, salt by the hogshead, molasses, sugar, medicine, dry goods, hardware, etc.

It is understood that he received his supplies from his brother-in-law, John Homer, a merchant of Boston, shipping him in return the alewives, herring and other fish found in Nova Scotia waters.

Tiring of the hard conditions of his life in the new settlement, and perhaps meeting with business reverses, Edmund Doane, on Oct. 17, 1776, sold his property at Barrington to his brother-in-law, John Homer for 132.6.5 3/4 pounds intending to return with his family to New England; but, on petition of a large number of the townspeople, a grant was made of town land, at Johnson's point to his wife Elizabeth, in consideration of her valuable medical services.

On this grant they settled and spent their remaining days. In the petition she is described as being "destitute of accommodation of land to set a house upon."

Mrs. Elizabeth Doane was a woman of considerable education, of more than ordinary personal attractions and natural ability. Having a good knowledge of medicine, and being skilled in the use of roots and herbs, she was the only nurse and doctor to all the sick of all the township. Her services were much sought after and appreciated. When advanced in years or when making long trips, she was carried in a basket suspended from a pole across the shoulders of two men. She returned several times to new England to visit her relatives and friends. In 176e she was one of the three passengers who came up from Barrington on the sloop "Sherburn," Capt. Jonathan Clarke, arriving in Boston, July 28. Again , in Sept., 1767, she came over to Boston on the sloop "Dove," Capt. Joseph Chapman.

The old pestle, with which she pounded her roots and herbs, is still in use and in possession of her great-granddaughter, as well as Edmund's old family bible, on the fly leaf of which is written: "Edmund Doane, his book, bought in New England whilst he lived there." They were buried in the old burial ground at Barrington Head.
 
Doane, Edmund (I2384)
 
226 Died of "pestilent feaver." Brewster, Patience (I2394)
 
227 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I3613)
 
228 Directory of Deceased American Physicians, 1804-1929 about Matthew B. Drake
Name: Matthew B. Drake
Birth Date: 1833
Death Date: 9 Jan 1911
Death Place: Ladonia, TX
Type Practice: Allopath
Medical School: Memphis Hospital Medical College, Memphis, 1856, (G)
JAMA Citation: 56:363 
Drake, Doctor Matthew B (I1403)
 
229 Division 14 Gillock, Felix Craft (I2708)
 
230 Division 14 Long, Edna (I2709)
 
231 Dougald spent his whole life on the pioneer family farm--S 1/2 lot 3, concession 5, Mosa Township--the farm on which his great grandfather Malcom Munro originally settled. After farming for a number of years, Doug joined the Canada and Dominion Sugar Co. as an area field supervisor for sugar and beet growing. He retired and continued to live on the farm until a few weeks before his death. His wife May, who grew up a few miles away in Ekfrid Township, was a gifted pianist, and she and Doug took part in many local entertainments. For some years before her death, she resided in a chronic care hospital in Strathroy.
by William Munro Campbell 
Munro, Dougald Walker (I4569)
 
232 Dropsy Suddath, Hargiss (I3683)
 
233 E. C. Dent, "Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967"
name: J. R. Mcelmurry
spouse's name: E. C. Dent
event date: 11 Nov 1896
event place: Crawford, Georgia
indexing project (batch) number: M71261-2
system origin: Georgia-EASy
gs film number: 417017
 
Family F1509
 
234 EDWARD CROSBY
1901 1959 
Crosby, William Edward (I1630)
 
235 Emily Anne Pearson
Obituary-Dallas Morning News
Pearson, Emily Anne Age 84 of Frisco, Texas passed away on March 12, 2011 in Frisco. She was born on April 29, 1926 in Dallas, Texas to John Brice and Anne Forrest (Neely) Kennedy. Anne married Charles Bishop Pearson on November 21, 1947 in Plano, Texas. She was a homemaker and long-time member of First Baptist Church, Frisco, and most recently attended Stonebriar Community Church in Frisco. She is survived by her husband, Charlie Pearson of Frisco, Texas; Daughters, Linda Templin and husband, Tom of Arlington, Texas, Laurie McGee and husband, David of Mansfield, Texas, Lucy Driggers and husband, Larry of Johannesburg, South Africa; grandsons, David and wife Claudia, Pearson, John and Matt McGee, Josh and wife Courtney, Nate and wife Kristin and Jed Templin and great-granddaughter, Audrey Templin. Anne is preceded in death by her daughter, Libby Pearson. The family will receive friends during a visitation to be held on Sunday, March 13, 2011 at Turrentine-Jackson-Morrow Funeral Home in Frisco from 4-6 PM. Funeral Services will be held at 1 p.m. on Monday, March 14, 2011 at Stonebriar Community Church in Frisco with Dr. Stan Toussaint and Rev. Ralph Ehren officiating. Graveside Services will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the charity of your choice. 
Kennedy, Emily Anne (I2348)
 
236 Emma C Culverhouse, "Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998"
name: Emma C Culverhouse
event: Death
event date: 12 Dec 1935
event place: Crawford, Georgia
registration note:
certificate number: 30408  
Culverhouse, Emma Corine (I4297)
 
237 EPHRAIM RICHARDSON A worthy representative of an early settler of note, Ephraim Richardson is the only living child of the late Thomas Richardson, the well-known and highly-honored pioneer of Oakdale, who as an extensive farmer and stockman, being at one time the largest sheep owner in the county, was one of the most energetic, progressive and prosperous residents in the Oakdale sector. He was born in Kentucky and married in Pike County, Ill., to Miss Lucinda Wagoner, a native of Tennessee; and in 1850 he left his family back in Pike County, Ill., and crossed the plains to the Pacific. Two years later, he returned to Illinois, in order to bring out a drove of 100 cows; and these he brought to Langworth, in Stanislaus County, where he had a large farm. But bad luck overtook him, after all his plucky enterprise; the cows were grazing on the tall grass among the willows in the bottom-lands of the Stanislaus River when a flood, the result of sudden and heavy rains, swept down upon them, inundating the bottoms for from twenty-five to thirty feet, and all the cows save one were drowned. Mr. Richardson, not altogether discouraged, continued in stock raising, and only in 1878 devoted himself exclusively to grain farming. Mrs. Richardson died on January 9, 1897, aged seventy-two years, and Thomas Richardson passed away in November, 1908, being then ninety years old. They had six children,--three boys and three girls, among whom Ephriam was the fifth, and is now the only one of the family living, and one of the oldest white men born in Stanislaus County.

He was born at Langworth, on February 18, 1854, and attended the Langworth public school and the business college at San Jose, and in 1878 he was married to Miss Sarah Latus, a native of Utica, N.Y., and the daughter of George Latus, who was a blacksmith. She grew up to be a teacher in the Empire State, and came out to California in 1877. Four children blessed their union: Ursula is the wife of J. Alden Rydberg, a ranchman and cattle raiser of Oakdale. Alta married Will Threlfall, of Stockton. Bessie is Mrs. Benj. Rushing of La Grange. George Thomas resides at Stockton and works for the Holt Manufacturing Company. Mrs. Richardson died at Oakdale on November 12, 1920, in the seventy-fifth year of her age; an excellent woman whose sterling virtues were attested in the large funeral in her honor.

Mr. Richardson has been a hard worker in his day, first on his father's farm and then on his own land. After that, for twelve years he was employed by Hughes Bros., the general merchants in Oakdale; but he overworked and so broke down in health that he became seriously ill, and had to quit all strenuous undertaking. In matters of national political import, Mr. Richardson follows the lead of the Republicans. [Page 452, History of Stanislaus County, California With Biographical Sketches, By George H. Tinkham, Press of Historic Record Company Los Angeles, California 1921] 
Richardson, Ephraim (I1782)
 
238 Everlasting Hope E2-5A Kinsner, Laura Loretta (I2513)
 
239 FAMILY HISTORY, IN PART, OF JAMES FAMILY
written in 1964 by Varina James Low & Ophelia James Morehead
David(Grandpa) James was born in 1808 in Mississippi. He was captain of a steamboat which operated on the Mississippi and Columbia Rivers. He was of good disposition, with a bit of humor to save himself from a Rip Van Winkle kind of wife.
Mary (Grandma) Felts was born in 1812 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She was united in marriage to David (Grandpa) James on approximately the year 1830. The children were John, Caroline, Tennessee, Amanda, Ed, Clark, David, and Enoch. David went to Nashville Medical School and later became a minister. Enoch, the youngest boy, went to Nashville Medical School and became a doctor.
For a few years Grandma operated a farm, but moved to Smithville, Tennessee and operated a "tavern" as hotels were called in that day. Her maid was a colored woman named "Old Mint."
Caroline, the oldest daughter, married Mel Foster. They moved to Arkansas which really started the westward movement. They settled near White River in Arkansas. David and Enoch, newly married to Mary and Amanda Batton, joined Caroline's westward movement. David lived in Arkansas and taught school in that state for about a year.
Grandpa S. H. Batton and Sarah Lambertson Batton came through Arkansas, but didn't like it and decided to move on to Texas. David and Enoch and their families joined this movement to the West. They lived in Grayson County, Texas, and farmed for a living. Clark, Rena and Tat were born in Grayson County.
Meantime, Grandpa and Grandma James came through Arkansas partly by steamboat having left "Old Mint" and her children sitting in a lumberyard. The slaves had been "freed" by the victory of the North over the South in 1865. The James family moved to Denton County, Texas and settled on a Green Valley Farm with fertile bottom land. They raised cattle and horses. Grandpa died of a heart attack, and Grandma operated the farms successfully and was considered rather financially independent at that time and even in our day.
David and Enoch decided to move their families to Brown County, Texas. David's family stayed one year and moved back to Denton, where David became a preacher. Enoch became an M.D. and stayed in Brown and Coleman Counties for several years. Then, after his family was about grown, they moved back to Fannin County. He prospered in his medical profession. David (Father) reading of the need of a preacher in far away West Texas (San Angelo) decided to go there, but en route stopped at Haskell, Texas, where he traded his heard of eighty cattle for a house and lot in Haskell where he stayed and taught school until his discipline ("I'll have order here if I have to bring a shotgun!") methods ruined his school. Later he moved to Lake Creek where he got a job herding sheep. (Tat and Fred herded the sheep and Father picked up bones and sold them in Albany to by flour.)
From 1886-1887 was a dry year. From Lake Creek Father moved to Miller Creek where he again taught school. Then he moved the family to Ample, Texas, where he was postmaster, farmer and rancher. Rena was married to John Low. Clark, who broke wild horses and saved money to go to Baylor University, was helped by Father.
David, with his wife and remaining children, left Ample, Texas and moved to Haskell, Texas, where the children had a good school and church benefits. Father became a pioneer missionary, preaching to Missions and churches scattered over four counties: Haskell, Jones, Fisher and Knox Counties. His duties as a missionary took him from home two thirds of the time. Mother had the larger share of bringing up the children. We all think she did her job well.
Thinking to help in family expenses, Father moved the family in November 1892, to a farm in a section of Haskell County know as "The Sand Hills," where he hoped to farm corn and watermelons. But drought burned up the crops and after almost three years of unsuccessful efforts, the family moved back to Haskell where we lived until August 1901, when we pulled up stakes and moved to Durant, Oklahoma.
 
James, Captain David Senior (I17)
 
240 Flora J. Zumwalt
Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
birth: 15 Oct 1864;1865 Illinois
residence: 25 Jan 1934 Spring Creek Tows, Pike, Illinois
death: 25 Jan 1934 Spring Creek, Pike, Illinois
burial: 27 Jan 1934 Martinsburg Tows, Pike, Ill.
parents:Green C. Wagemor, Sarah Goodin
spouse:David Zumwalt
NameFlora J. Zumwalt
Event Date25 Jan 1934
Event PlaceSpring Creek, Pike, Illinois
Age69
Birth Year (Estimated)1865
Birth Date15 Oct 1864
BirthplaceIllinois
Father's NameGreen C. Wagemor
Father's BirthplaceIllinois
Mother's NameSarah Goodin
Mother's BirthplaceIllinois
OccupationHousewife
Residence PlaceSpring Creek Tows, Pike, Illinois
Spouse's NameDavid Zumwalt
Burial Date27 Jan 1934
Burial PlaceMartinsburg Tows, Pike, Ill.
CemeteryBurbidge
Digital Folder Number4008319
GS Film number1675309
Reference IDcn 2 4435

 
Waggoner, Flora Tobiatha (I2818)
 
241 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Allene D Wray
Name: Allene D Wray
Death Date: 29 Mar 1996
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 91
Race: White
Birth Date: 15 Feb 1905 
Dent, Allene L (I1869)
 
242 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Charles P Wray
Name: Charles P Wray
Death Date: 11 May 1976
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 67
Race: White
Birth Date: 7 Aug 1908 
Wray, Charles P Senior (I1924)
 
243 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Charles P Wray
Name: Charles P Wray
Death Date: 15 Jan 1996
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 52
Race: White
Birth Date: 10 Jul 1943
 
Wray, Charles P Junior (I1925)
 
244 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Malvina Powers Dent
Name: Malvina Powers Dent
Death Date: Feb 1966
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Race: White
Gender: Female 
Powers, Malvina (I1867)
 
245 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Marion Dewese Dent
Name: Marion Dewese Dent
Death Date: 10 Sep 1995
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 86
Race: White
Birth Date: 20 Dec 1908 
Dent, Marion Dewese (I1870)
 
246 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Sherman A. Barnes
Name: Sherman A. Barnes
Death Date: 1939
County of Death: Saint Lucie
State of Death: Florida
Race: White
Gender: Male
 
Barnes, Sherman Alvin (I1871)
 
247 Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Walter Braxton Dent
Name: Walter Braxton Dent
Death Date: 1946
County of Death: Dade
State of Death: Florida
Race: White
Gender: Male
 
Dent, Walter Braxton (I1858)
 
248 from a book by Francis Parkham:

Among the numerous war-parties which were now ravaging 'he borders, none was more destructive than a band, about sixty in number, which ascended the Kanawha, and pursued its desolating course among the settlements about the sources of that river. They passed valley after valley, sometimes attacking the inhabitants by surprise, and sometimes murdering them under the mask of friendship, until they came to the little settlement of Greenbriar, where nearly a hundred of the people were assembled at the fortified house of Archibald Glendenning. Seeing two or three of the Indians approach, whom they recognized as former acquaintances, they suffered them to enter without distrust; but the new-comers were soon joined by others, until the entire party were gathered in and around the buildings. Some suspicion was now awakened; and, in order to propitiate the dan-
gerous guests, they were presented with the carcass of an elk lately brought in by the hunters. They immediately cut it up, and began to feast upon it. The backwoodsmen, with their families, were assembled in one large room; and finding themselves mingled among the Indians, and embarrassed by the presence of the women and children, they remained indecisive and irresolute. Meanwhile, an old woman who sat in a corner of the room, and who had lately received some slight accidental injury, asked one of the warriors if he could cure the wound. He replied that he thought he could, and, to make good his words, killed her with his tomahawk. This was the signal for a scene of general butchery. A few persons made their escape; the rest were killed or captured.
Parkman believed himself to be engaged in something, perhaps, more notable; in one of his prefaces (Pioneers of France in the New World ), he says, "The springs of American civilization, unlike those of the older world, lie revealed in the clear light of History." That was a very hopeful surmise. But Archibald Glendenning's wife escaped?having first been captured "with her infant child" and forced to march, "guarded before and behind by the Indians."

As they defiled along a narrow path which led through a gap in the mountains, she handed the child to the woman behind her, and, leaving it to its fate, slipped into the bushes and escaped. Being well acquainted with the woods, she succeeded, before nightfall, in reaching the spot where the ruins of her dwelling had not ceased to burn. Here she sought out the body of her husband and covered it with fencerails, to protect it from the wolves. When her task was complete, and when night closed around her, the bold spirit which had hitherto borne her up suddenly gave way. The recollection of the horrors she had witnessed, the presence of the dead, the darkness, the solitude, and the gloom of the surrounding forest, wrought upon her till her terror rose to an ecstasy; and she remained until daybreak, crouched among the bushes, haunted by the threatening apparition of an armed man, who, to her heated imagination, seemed constantly approaching to murder her.

 
Clendenen, Archibald Junior (I591)
 
249 from Overwharton Parish Register
Benjamin is listed as Rose Suthard 
Family F170
 
250 from the book, The Kaminers of South Carolina
by the Kaminer Council.
p 18-19

"On Thursday, April 13, 1820, Pastor Godfrey Dreher 'married Jacob
Gamner to Nancy Dent.' Pastor Dreher listed this in his journal, and in
1855, when Nancy made application for the land warrant, she also listed this
date for her marriage and Margaret Austin Rawl made oath that she was
present at the marriage. The bride was the daughter of John & Patience
Dent of Dent's Mills near Gilbert in Lexington District. The Dent family
had migrated to South Carolina from Maryland in the 1700's. Members of
this same family would later give their name to Dentsville just north of
Columbia in Richland County. At the time of their marriage, Nancy Dent
was 20 years old and Jacob was 31. There is no indication that Jacob had
been married before. The 1820 census lists Jacob Kaminer living near his
wife's people west of the courthouse seat of Lexington Village."

 
Family F64
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23» Next»